here you’ll find some activities to speak about the Queen and the Monarchy with your students.
THE LIFE OF ELIZABETH II – BIENNIO
- What do you know about Queen Elizabeth? (Brainstorming – Write on the blackboard what your students already know about her)
- Add some important facts that your students may not know.
- https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/gallery/2022/sep/10/the-queen-a-life-in-official-portrait-photos Give your students some time to go through the photo gallery and ask them to choose the picture that most impresses them.
- Ask your students to describe the picture and to answer the following questions
- What do you think this picture tells us about the figure of the Queen and her reign?
- Why have you chosen this picture?
- Why do you think so many people around the world follow the British Royal Family?
- Use the last part of the lesson to ask your students to share what they’ve written
ROYAL FAMILY WORD WALL – BIENNIO LOWER LEVELS
- Create a word wall with your students with some of the most important words needed to speak about the Royal Family.
- Here you’ll find some useful words: Aristocracy, dinasty, palace, prince, princess, Queen, King, Earl, Duke, highness, crown, castle, fortress, Monarchy, Accession…
- After explaining the meaning of the words you’ve chosen, ask your students to write one sentence for each word
QUEEN ELIZABETH II OBITUARIES – TRIENNIO
- Divide the class into small groups and let each group choose an obituary to read
- Ask your students to read the obituary they’ve chosen and to note the things they didn’t know about Elizabeth II
- After sharing what they’ve learnt, start a class discussion with the following questions
- Do you think this is the moment of truth for Britain? Why?
- Why do you think so much attention is paid to the protocol?
- Many journalists claim that Elizabeth was a pop Queen. Do you agree? Why? Why not?
OPERATION LONDON BRIDGE – TRIENNIO
- Ask your students if they know what “operation London Bridge” is. Share opinions, give them an answer
- Watch the video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXSiURyi7do
- Ask your students to write down the main steps of the protocol
- Class discussion
- Do you think that such a protocol is important? Why? Why not?
GOD SAVE THE QUEEN/KING – BIENNIO + TRIENNIO
- Ask your students what they know about the National Anthem
- Here you’ll find some information https://www.royal.uk/national-anthem
- Listen to the National Anthem https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkauHNAPUdg
- What do they notice? Discuss about the fact that this is the only National Anthem that changes according to the monarch who is ruling
- What else has to change when the Monarch dies? Class discussion
- Introduce the fact that currency and stamps change once the Monarch dies
- Read the article https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/sep/08/queen-death-cash-stamps-flags
- Class discussion